I have a HUGE sweet tooth, but super-sweet treats aren’t typically my thing. I usually pass on buttercream frosted cakes (Billy and I had carrot cake at our wedding!), in favor of homemade cookies, pie or a piece of dark chocolate. I made these lemon bars last year for MDW, and they were a huge hit, so I figured I’d share! The buttery crust melts in your mouth, while the filling has the perfect tart note to balance out the sweetness!
Flag Lemon Bars
Ingredients for crust:
- 1 cup of butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
Ingredients for filling:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
Ingredients for decorating:
- powdered sugar
- raspberries and/or strawberries
- blueberries and/or blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350°, grease a 13×9″ glass or metal pan.
- Beat flour and sugar together with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Turn mixer to low, add flour and mix just until the flour is incorporated.
- Press dough evenly into the greased pan, bake for 20 minutes.
- Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Add baking powder, salt lemon juice and zest to the mixture, blend well.
- Pour filling into the baked crust, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Use a ruler map out 8 columns and 6 rows, totaling 48 squares.
- Adorn with your choice of blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and/or blackberries to achieve the look above.