I’ve been having a bit of a love affair with carrot ginger soup lately, testing out more recipes than I can count. I wanted something creamy (without the calorie intake of actual cream), sweet and a little spicy. The addition of tofu adds a nice amount of protein that fills me up (not leaving me hungry two hours later). I like to top it off with sweet and spicy pepitas for a nice crunch and little dash of heat.
Healthy Carrot Ginger Soup w/ Sweet & Spicy Pepitas
Ingredients for soup:
- 1 tbs. butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks, dark green parts removed (around 1 large leek)
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 1 1/2 tbs. minced ginger (you can grate it if you like, but it all goes in the blender at the end anyway)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup tofu
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 3 tbs. chopped chives
Ingredients for pepitas:
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice blend
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. canola oil
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add leeks, sprinkle with salt and cook stirring often until soft, around 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and ginger, sprinkle with salt, toss well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until carrots are soft.
- Carefully add carrot mixture and tofu to a high-powered blender (such as a Vitamix).
- Blend on the soup setting (or high) for 5-7 minutes, until completely smooth.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, top with chives and pepitas.
Sweet and Spicy Pepitas:
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on a foiled wrapped baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until puffed and brown.