1. Benefit’s The POREfessional 2. Makeup Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation 3. Bobbi Brown’s Skin Foundation Stick 4. Nars Matte Multiple in Alta 5. It Cosmetics Airbrush Foundation/Concealer brush 6. Nars The Multiple in Maui 7. Becca’s Shimmering Skin Perfector SPF 25+ in Moonstone 8. Sephora’s Jumbo Liner 12HR Wear in Taupe 9. Urban Decay’s De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray
A couple months ago I set out to Sephora on a mission in search of a few new beauty products. I wasn’t necessarily disappointed with my tried and true regimen, but wanted to add a few new items into the mix that would make my makeup last longer, and provide a bit more coverage for those darn dark circles and sun spots. Like most of you, I work long hours! And while popping into the bathroom for a little touch-up sounds totally feasible in theory, I know myself – I get completely caught up in what I’m working on, and just don’t have time/won’t remember to reapply throughout the day. My other main issue is that I don’t like a heavily made up look on me – it looks great on some people, but I always end up feeling like a clown. Aside from occasionally sporting a bold lip, my normal day-to-day look is very natural. So after many trips back and forth to Sephora, testing out samples, here’s what I’ve tried, purchased and loved:
- Initially I wanted to find a BB or CC cream that would afford the ability to combine spf, primer and a light-weight foundation into one step. I tried over 10 different samples with no luck (the sales girls at my local Sephora are truly saints for putting up with me!)! Either my oily t-zone wore them off in a few hours, the colors didn’t match up perfectly with my skin or they didn’t offer enough coverage. Ultimately, I found it was worth the extra 2 minutes to apply each component separately in thin layers with my fingertips, starting with either CeraVe’s Daily SPF 30 moisturizer or Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 55 (depending on how much sun exposure I’ll experience that day), followed by Benefit’s The POREfessional and topped off with Makeup Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation. The primer evens out my skin, filling in pores and fine lines, and gives my foundation something to stick to – similar to priming a wall before you paint! The thing I love most about the foundation is that it has just a tiny bit more coverage than your average tinted moisturizer, but is buildable for when I need it; resulting in a soft focus effect that blends seamlessly into my skin.
- I’ve found as I’ve gotten older I’m in need of a concealer with more coverage. This was another tricky item to find, as I wanted something that color corrected properly, but wasn’t so thick it creased in the fine lines under my eyes after an hour of wear. I ended up going an untraditional route by way of Bobbi Brown’s Skin Foundation Stick in Alabaster. Using It Cosmetics Airbrush Foundation/Concealer brush, I apply the foundation stick where needed with the smaller end, then stipple it in with the larger side. The creamy formula literally melts into my skin, brightens my face and the brush results in an airbrushed application that makes its steep price well worth the investment! I also use the brush to contour my bronzer, and Nars Matte Multiple in Alta has replaced my once beloved Bahama Mama Bronzer. The creamy formula is SO much easier to apply than its powder counterpart, and the color is the perfect shade for contouring – warm, but not orange – and doesn’t have an ounce of shimmer! After having great results with the Nars bronzer I decided to give their blush a try (in Maui), and am so happy I did! The cream-to-powder finish is so easy to apply (I use my fingers!) and it lasts ALL day!
- I really like the luminous look that brighteners achieve, and have been obsessed with Yves Saint Laurent’s Touche Éclat for years. My only real complaint was it’s a little pricey and you can’t tell when you’re running low on product until it’s completely depleted due to the packaging. So when one of the girls at Sephora recommended Becca’s Shimmering Skin Perfector SPF 25 in Moonstone, I figured why not?! This stuff is liquid gold, literally light in a bottle – and the bottle is huge, considering what a small amount you need! I apply it on tops of my cheekbones, bridge of my nose, brow bone and cupids bow. And for nights out, I mix a dab of it into my foundation for a really radiant look.
- Heavily made-up eyes are not my thing, and I absolutely loath when eyeshadow leaves little specs on my face. For years I solely wore mascara, until recently falling in love with Sephora’s Jumbo Liner 12HR Wear in Taupe. It’s super easy to apply (again, I just use my finger to blend it in), waterproof and is the perfect shade of taupe/rose that compliments my green eyes nicely (but it also looks fabulous on my sister’s baby blues!).
- To finish up, I spritz on Urban Decay’s De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray which locks everything in, forbidding my oily t-zone from wreaking havoc (if your skin’s not oily, I’ve heard excellent things about their regular formula).
What are some of your favorite long-lasting beauty products? Any great products I should know about?